Monday, January 24, 2011

Event 9 Recap

$260 + $40 Ladies NL

The two biggest stacks going to the final table battled to the end and finished 1-2 in the Ladies Event with Candace Verrastro (Pt. Pleasant, NJ) winning the title and the $8,323 first prize.

"He told me I could win," said Verrastro, who was convinced by her husband to enter the tournament. "I didn't want to play it, but figured I was here and I'd give it a shot."

Verrastro beat Carmen 'Hunbunny' Huggins (Brooklyn, NY), who earned $4,577 for second place and was thrilled to finally go deep in a Borgata event. "It's the first time I've cashed," said Huggins who figured she was 0 for 3 in her previous attempts.

110 players entered the tournament as the top 18 players shared in the $28,600 total buy-in.

Notables in the field included author Sheree Bykofsky (Atlantic City, NJ - no cash), Rosa Klaneski (Farmington, CT - 14th/$485) and Marguerite Spagnuolo (Staten Island, NY - 16th/$416).